For those of you who don’t know me very well, I am “OBSESSED” with Essential Oils as described by my 10 year old daughter! I am often running classes or setting up demonstration tables at events to share my love and knowledge of the healing properties of EOs (essential oils shorthand).
In Fact, my next EOs 101 Class is being held next Monday, June 19 at 7:30 pm here in Red Bank! If you’re interested in joining us email me Info@NamasteHealthyNJ.com
Essential Oils can be used in three possible ways: Aromatically, Topically, or Internally.
- Aromatically means they are diffused into the air and we breathe them in. This is the most common and well known method. I use a diffuser in my home and office to diffuse oils in a small amount of water into the air for various purposes including cleansing the air, relaxation, focus, stress release, etc. I highly recommend checking out Aroma Tools or Oil Life for diffusers.
- Topically means that the oils are applied directly to the body. Our skin is our largest organ and EOs can be quickly absorbed into the blood stream to help with various health issues ranging from cuts/scrapes/bruises, to detoxification, immune support, headaches/migraines, etc. Not all oils are best for topical application, this is where having a knowledge of EOs and their properties comes in (*cough* EOs 101 class!). Some oils need to be diluted with a carrier oil because they are considered “hot”, and some oils are not best for sensitive skin like on babies/children. So if in doubt, ask! My preferred choice of carrier oil is Fractionated Coconut Oil or regular cold pressed Coconut Oil.
- Internally: very few oils are safe for human consumption. NEVER just assume it is ok to take an oil internally/orally. This is really where having an education is crucial as is knowing which products are of the highest quality for human consumption. The only EOs I use and trust are from doTERRA which are Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade from an outside independent third party company to verify their quality. For the purpose of this blog, I will not be sharing oils to be used internally; as this is something which requires a greater knowledge base be established by the user.
Best Oils for SUMMER!
- Peppermint: very cooling and refreshing especially after being out in the sun! Also great for nausea from long car rides or seasickness. Apply a drop to the palms of your hands, rub together vigorously and inhale deeply. Place hands on the back of the neck to have a cooling sensation. Also can be applied to bug bites to relieve the itch!
- Lavender: Great for sunburn, cuts, scrapes and bug bites! Also great to help settle down after a long busy day when you’re overtired and having trouble sleeping. A drop can be applied directly to the cut, scrape, or bite, and for overall sunburn apply a drop or two with some coconut oil to soothe skin!
- Melaleuca: Also known as Tea Tree Oil, Melaleuca is a great antiseptic, anti bacterial, anti microbial and anti fungal. It also works great on Poison Ivy! Apply a drop to the affected area and watch how quickly the itching stops and the rash no longer spreads!
- Terra-Shield: this is a blend of essential oils specific to the doTERRA brand that is an effective bug repellent. I have used this while camping and had minimal issues with mosquitos, ants, or even ticks. If you cannot find Terra-Shield, I recommend using Lemongrass in its place for insect repellent. Avoid the harmful carcinogens from traditional bug sprays, especially DEET! and use natural products!
- Lemon: this multi-purpose citrus oil is great for cleaning, purifying the air, and uplifting the spirit! This is great to add to a spray bottle of cool water and spritz on yourself after a long day in the hot sun! It’s also a great oil to use when cleaning your house to serve as an antibacterial and wood polish! *Note: Citrus Oils are photosensitive which means you should avoid direct sunlight if you apply them to your skin. Click here to learn about Summer Safety with EOs
doTERRA DIY After Sun Soothing Spray:
After a long day of fun in the sun, your skin needs to be soothed! Try making this spray at home to nourish your body!
16 oz. glass spray bottle
1 cup Aloe Vera Juice
1/4 cup Fractionated Coconut Oil
1 tsp. Vitamin E
8 drops Lavender oil
8 drops Melaleuca oil
8 drops Peppermint oil
Combine all ingredients in glass spray bottle. Shake to combine. Spray on skin (avoiding eyes!) to soothe sun burn and enjoy the healing power of plants! Store in a cool dark place to avoid spoiling.
To learn more about EOs visit mydoTERRA or email me at Info@NamasteHealthyNJ.com